Frequently Asked Questions

What is Residential Care for the Elderly?

Residential Care Facilities for the Elderly (RCFEs) serve persons 60 and older. They provide room, board, housekeeping, supervision, and personal care assistance with basic activities like personal hygiene, dressing, eating, and walking. Facilities usually centrally store and distribute medications for residents to self-administer.

Who Lives in Assisted Living Facilities?

Residents may range from older adults who need meals prepared and a safe place to live to those who may need help with bathing and medications. Some residents use walkers, canes, or wheelchairs and over half may have some level of confusion, or memory loss.

What Services are Available?

R&R Care offer the following services (optional services may be offered for additional cost):

  • Private and semi private rooms, with or without private bathrooms, an emergency call system
  • Three wholesome meals a day and healthy snacks
  • Housekeeping and assistance with laundry
  • Assistance available for any activity of daily living
  • Reminders to take medication, or staff assistance with medication management
  • Transportation, i.e., to the mall, doctor's office, or special treatments
  • Social activities geared at keeping the residents as active as they can be
  • Reminders to use bathroom at preset times 
Optional services include (but not limited to) the following:
    • Beauty shop services
    • Massage therapy
    • Chiropractic services Special requests from resident

R&R Care provides assisted living while offering various levels of independence. Assisted living is the best alternative for individuals not requiring 24-hour nursing care. Many seniors find that living with others in a small group provide a family-like environment, providing support, interaction, and long-term relationships with each other. 

Depression in the elderly is as serious as any health related issues. Depression occurs most frequently with those living alone. This is a very crucial condition for seniors.

For more information, please also see the Services page.

What is the Cost?

Costs vary widely depending on private or semi private room, services, and level of care provided. Call or email R&R Care to arrange for a private consultation and evaluation.

How Does a Residential Care Facility for the Elderly Differ From an Assisted Living Facility?

From a licensing standpoint, there is no difference. In California, facilities describing themselves as assisted living and offering personal care and supervision are licensed as Residential Care Facilities for the Elderly. 

Residential Care Facilities for the Elderly are dominated by smaller (i.e., 6 to 15 beds), locally owned facilities with shared rooms. "Assisted Living" is used to describe a philosophy of care (e.g., freedom to choose among service plans and "aging-in-place") and as a marketing slogan. Assisted Living Facilities usually offer private apartments in larger, corporately owned facilities (e.g., 75 to 100 plus beds) with different fee options depending on the level of care needs.

Are Residential Care Facilities for the Elderly Regulated?

Yes. Residential Care Facilities for the Elderly or Assisted Living Facilities must meet care and safety standards set by the State and are licensed and inspected by the Department of Social Services, Community Care Licensing (CCL). 

Senior housing complexes, retirement villages or retirement hotels that provide only housing, housekeeping and meals are not required to be licensed as Residential Care Facilities for the Elderly.

Can A Residential Care Facility for the Elderly Care for Persons with Dementia?

Some facilities offer special services to persons with dementia if they meet certain licensing requirements. R&R Care has met these requirements.

Who Pays the Bill for Residential Care for the Elderly or Assisted Living?

Most people must pay privately for care. If you have Long-term care insurance, the cost of your care may be covered. Medi-Cal does not yet pay for Residential Care in California. There is very limited public funding through Supplemental Security Income (SSI) for this level of care. Unfortunately, the SSI rate is so low that fewer and fewer facilities will accept persons on SSI.

How Do I Find Out More About Residential Care for the Elderly?

You can contact the local District Office of Community Care Licensing. Some Ombudsman Programs also have listings, offer pre-placement services, and provide access to licensing reports. Contact the Senior Information and Referral (I&R) Program in your area (1-800-510-2020 - statewide elder services locator number) for assistance in contacting the licensing office or the Ombudsman Program.